The Monsoon has almost set in and has brought along a slight chill. So what better time than now to dig into an Apple Pie?
In the art of cooking and baking you can never say, “This is the perfect recipe!” It’s simple, because every time we try out a recipe, we tweak it “jussht-a-lil-bit” for our convenience (Oh come on, don’t look scandalised! Admit it. I’m guilty too.)
That’s what makes your dish truly unique. Same goes for my journey in making the ‘Perfect Apple Pie’. The first time I prepared one, it was a disaster. *Shudders* It was such a let down; I decided to never try it again & put my family through another awkward situation. (BTW they are the coolest people I could ever have got as a family. They put up with all my cooking & baking adventures.)
But then I came across a recipe on how to improve my pie crust recipe, for that was what triggered the ‘Apple Pie Disaster’. In spite of my vow to never make another Apple pie, I couldn’t help but try it out once again. And guess what? It was a success!! *Grins* Here is the life-saver recipe.
The trick is to use frozen butter and ice cold water. The fork technique works really well. Another thing is to add water one teaspoon at a time. Once you get the pie crust right, the apple filling is a piece of cake!
Apple Filling Recipe
- Apples – 4 to 5 (I prefer using Granny Smith. They don’t get mushy while baking.)
- Ground Cinnamon – 1 tbsp
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- In a large bowl mix together the sliced apples, ground cinnamon, sugar, lemon juice and butter.
- Cover and keep for an hour.
- Placing a bowl underneath strain the apples.
- The juice so collected can then be reduced on the gas burner to form a thick syrup.
- After lining the pie tray with the crust, add the apple mixture and drizzle the syrup over the apples.
- You can make the top layer of the pie with another crust or could cut out long strips and create a lattice.
- Beat an egg yolk and brush it onto the top crust.
- Bake the pie in a pre-heated oven at 190 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
PS, I used a microwave, hence the temperature and time is mentioned accordingly.
Until next time,